Science Fair Winners:
1st place- Benjamin Lau - " Designing a Pedal Power Magnetic Induction Stove"
2nd place- Olivia Huang -" How do different solutions affect the growth of bean plants?"
3rd place-Christopher Lau - " The effects of non-circadian light cycles on the growth of hydroponic lettuce"
Annabel Yoo -"Which berries absorb the most water?"
Eric Cui -"How does UV light affect bacteria?"
Charles Kakkanatt - "Performance vs. Perception: Determinants of Confidence and Persistence"
Jaehyun Ryu - "What is the most effective way to reduce static electricity?"
**Did you know?
- All participants of this science fair are eligible to compete in the Bergen SciChallenge, the science fair hosted by the Bergen County Academies.
- Projects awarded “Top 10% of the Fair” at the Bergen SciChallenge are invited to compete in the Thermo Fisher Scientific Junior Innovators Challenge, (formerly called Broadcom MASTERS), the National Middle School Science Fair. From there, top finishers are awarded scholarships and travel to Washington, DC.
- The Bergen SciChallenge is one of only four fairs in NJ affiliated with The Thermo Fisher Scientific Junior Innovators Challenge, which is by invitation only.
- Upper School Previous Bergen SciChallenge Winners include:
1. Charles Kakkanatt - 1st Place, Biology, 2022- “Can meditation improve athletic performance?” [Invited to Broadcom MASTERS, top 10% of Fair]
2. Christopher Lau - 1st Place, Biology, 2022 –“ How does pH level in hydroponic systems affect mung bean growth?” [ Invited to Broadcom MASTERS, top 10% of Fair]
3. Claire Shi - 2nd Place, Environmental Science, 2022 – “Building with Mushroom Roots: Three-Point Flexural Test”
4. Lauren Kim - 3rd Place, Biology, 2022 – “What is the best technique for seed germination?”
5. Charles Kakkanatt - 2nd Place , Biology, 2021 – “Does meditation help decrease stress?”
6. Joanne Shyr - 2nd Place, Environmental Science, 2021 –“Sustainable Future: Bioplastic Durability Test”
1st Place - Christopher Lau, How does pH level in hydroponic systems affect mung bean growth?
2nd Place - Claire Shi, Building with Mushroom Roots: Three-Point Flexural Test
3rd Place - Joanne Shyr, Could AI change the way we think about art and authenticity?
Honorable Mention - Charles Kakkanatt, Can Meditation help improve athletic performance?
Honorable Mention - Lauren Kim, What is the best technique for seed germination?
Honorable Mention - Jaehyun Ryu, Normal vinyl vs bubble wrap: Which is more effective to keep the house warm?
1st Place: Joanne Shyr
"Sustainable Future: Bioplastic Durability Test"
2nd Place: Andrea Chen
"Which hand has more germs on it? Dominant or non-dominant?"
3rd Place: Hannah Shin
"Which cleans best: Conventional, Natural, or Homemade Toothpaste?"
Kimberley Jang - "Can Saliva Kill Germs?"
Charlie Kakkanatt - "Can meditation lower stress?"
Samuel Kim - "Are "Smart" Devices Safe?"
Top winners will go on to the Bergen SciChallenge, which is the next step on the way to the national Broadcom Masters.
Special Thanks to Ms. Lorenc, 7th and 8th Grade Science Teacher, for making this event possible!